Heather Stang will present for the third year in a row at the Association of Death Education and Counseling Annul Conference, held in Minneapolis, MN. This year, the theme of her talk will explore mindfulness-based techniques to develop and improve coping skills throughout the grief process.
She will also begin a three year term as the Networking & Communications Committee Chair for the association.
This will be the second year Heather’s talk is offered as a webcast. In 2015, she presented Mindfulness and Grief: Techniques For Post-traumatic Growth, which can be purchased directly from ADEC.
ADEC 2016 PRESENTATION DESCRIPTION
Mindfulness & Grief: Coping Skills For Life After Loss with Heather Stang
Thursday, April 14
Concurrent Sessions III: 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m
Hilton Minneapolis, Minneapolis, MN USA
Facing the reality that a loved one has died is overwhelming, yet bereaved people also have to cope with physical, emotional, cognitive and spiritual suffering. Mindfulness-based techniques – including meditation and yoga – can help bereaved clients reduce unpleasant side effects while learning powerful coping skills. During this session I will use case examples and practical instruction to explain how mindfulness can be applied as a grief intervention. From clients in an acute period of grief to people further along on their journey, the ancient practice of mindfulness allows bereaved people to experience grief without becoming grief itself.
- Define mindfulness and summarize the research that illustrates how mindfulness can help reduce physical, emotional, cognitive and spiritual suffering.
- Describe how the principles of mindfulness can be applied to bereavement through case examples from private and group sessions.
- Explain how grief professionals can partner with yoga and meditation professionals to create bereavement support programs in their community.
Latest posts by Heather Stang (see all)
- Self-Care for the Palliative Caregiver: Keynote by Heather Stang on June 7, 2017 - May 4, 2017
- Meditation & Journaling for Grief: Online Course For Life After Loss - March 14, 2017
- How To Get Over A Breakup With Meditation - January 17, 2017